Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Zechariah 12

After listening once again to international condemnation of Israel for attacking a "peace" flotilla that challenged its Gaza blockade, I came across Zechariah 12.

"On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations," says the LORD in verse 3.

I note "all the nations of the earth" and think about how God has used the United States in the past to back Israel against so many foes. It is chilling when you consider that the United States is also a nation of the earth, and it is not Israel. So when does the U.S. turn into just another one of those other nations, and when it finally does, how long can it possibly be before the LORD sets out "to destroy all the nations that attack Jerusalem"?

Or is this even talking about something that is yet to come? It seems to me like it is, but I'm not sure.

More and more and relatively slowly the U.S. is turning, I fear. I hear more talk among even people I know well how heavy-handed and unfair Israel appears to be to them. In some ways I wish that neither I nor my children would have to see this happen.

Then there's another part of me that believes I should be wishing for the LORD's will to be done, knowing that the judgment of giving men and nations over to their godless desires, even when it's a nation you grew up loving, is also sometimes a part of the LORD's will.

1 comment:

Kent S said...

"After North Korea torpedoed a South Korean ship, killing 46 sailors, was there even one-tenth the outrage that is ringing out loudly around the world because of 9 deaths that resulted from Israeli commandoes intercepting a ship heading for the Gaza strip?"
-Thomas Sowell